Monday 17 March 2014

Blasts from the Past: 16 and 17 March

Yesterday's blast from the past on Radio 2 was Go West's "We Close Our Eyes" from 1985. I loved this song when it first came out, and can remember getting the album on cassette and listening to it over and over whilst on holiday in Whitby. At least I think I can remember this, but I'm doubting myself now, would I have been buying a cassette in 1985? And did I go to Whitby in that year? Maybe it was just a dream.

Today's choice is a little more difficult. I've been at a conference in Dubai so have listened to Radio 2 for about two and a half hours in total on the way there and back. Not only that but they were counting down the listeners' top 100 songs of all time, in celebration of the opening of Centrepoint's 100th store in the UAE (just in case you are interested), so there was plenty to choose from.

There were three songs that I was particularly pleased to hear again for the first time in many years. In third place was Nik Kershaw, "The Riddle" (1984), closely followed by Simple Minds, "Don't You" (1987). But the winner was "Shattered Dreams" by Johnny Hates Jazz, also from 1987.

No comments: